Thursday, April 8, 2010

On DVD: T2

I recently watched Terminator 2: Judgement Day on my iPod while on vacation. I hadn't seen the movie in 15+ years, and didn't even remember some of the best (and worst) parts of the movie.

What worked
Lots of things; this is a sci-fi/action classic, and true to James Cameron's MO, contains a strong, compelling female character, Sarah Connor (played very well by Linda Hamilton). Arnold is great, Robert Patrick is menacing as the T-1000, and some other good supporting performances round it out.

The effects look a little cheesy now, but were revolutionary at the time. The action sequences are tremendous, and it's a credit to Cameron that, despite it being a sequel, he kept the core cast small: Sarah, her son John, the orginial Terminator, the T-1000, and a bunch of fodder.

Back to Linda Hamilton: She is awesome in this movie. Her character's range of emotions moves from borderline insanity and paranoia, to love, to terror, to unbelievable determination. I had forgotten how her performance moves this movie from good to great.

What Didn't Work
I really tried to like Edward Furlong as John Connor, but he's so freakin' whiny that I just couldn't. He has a few good moments, but most of the time he annoys.

And I'm nitpicking a little, but Cameron lays on the cheese pretty heavy at the beginning, including a 'Bad to the Bone' montage at when Arnold gets clothes and a bike from a bar.

Who Would Like It
Anyone who liked it before, and anyone who enjoys great sci-fi/action.

Who Wouldn't Like It
Well, if you disliked it in 1991, I don't think that will have changed. It is also very violent (hence the R rating).

Closing Credits
This movie made me miss the short-live and underrated TV show Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. I really liked that show, and I enjoy stories from the Terminator universe (even if I was disappointed by Terminator: Salvation). This is a great movie that hasn't aged particularly well, but if you haven't seen it in a while, it's worth another look.

No comments:

Post a Comment