Tuesday, September 8, 2009

BYU: As Good as it Gets

It's hard to describe the feelings I had after BYU's stunning 14-13 victory over No. 3 Oklahoma. It had been a long day, and I didn't start the DVR until just before 10pm here in Wisconsin. But man was I excited. I compare it to a lesser version of when the Red Sox won the 2004 World Series. It's been a long-time coming, and BYU has fared poorly against top competition for a long time.

It also got me thinking about my favorite BYU victories of all time. In chronological order:

1984: BYU beats Michigan and wins the National Championship. This is the first BYU game I clearly remember, and made Robbie Bosko my hero. I kept a poster of him on my wall for two years after that.

1990: BYU beats No. 1 Miami. I was inexplicably at a church dance, and then heard the end of the game on the radio on the drive home. I've never had so much fun on a car ride.

1996 Texas A&M and Cotton Bowl. I would mention these, but I was on my mission and didn't see them.

2001 BYU late comeback victory over Utah. Brandon Doman was one of my favorite players, and I just knew he was going to win this one. Interesting side note: I was in the stands for this one with my wife Kathleen. She threw out her back in the third quarter, and we had to take her to first aid. I watched a good portion of this game on a small TV in a room in the bowels of Cougar Stadium. I finished watching the game in the aisle. My wife may not feel the same, but I have very fond memories of that game.

2006 BYU last-second victory over Utah. Two words: Johnny Harline.

Where does this victory over OU rank? Right up there with these absolutely. The defense was awesome, and Max Hall delivered when he had to.

What does this mean for this season? Everything and nothing. If BYU runs the table, this will be viewed as the catalyst that launched a potential BCS-champion squad. If we drop the next two against Tulane and Florida State (I think we will win both), then this becomes an interesting footnote in a good season. Oh, and don't forget tough games against TCU and Utah, luckily both in Provo.

But regardless of what happens over the next couple of months, I will always remember sitting there on my couch, quietly fist pumping (my wife and daughters were sleeping), dreaming of what this season could become.

No comments:

Post a Comment