Thursday, February 11, 2010

Quick Flicks, Feb. 2010

Here are some movies I’ve seen in the last couple of months and a quick review.

Children of Men (2007): 8/10. My younger brother recommended this, and I really liked it. As I wrote in My Favorite Movies of the Decade, Part 1, “The most depressing, encouraging, apocalyptic movie of the decade.” (Yes, I just quoted myself.) Clive Owen is really, really good, and the story was compelling. Not a movie I would likely watch again (too depressing and violent), but one I enjoyed.

The Man From Snowy River (1982): 9/10. This is one of my all-time favorites, a movie I watched probably 30 times as a kid. Are some scenes really cheesy? Absolutely. Re-watching it as an adult, did I realize it was part cowboy movie / part chick flick? Totally. Still one of my favorites. Well acted, beautiful scenery, interesting story. “There are a dozen good brood mares in that mob. I'll be back for them... and for whatever else is mine.”

The Incredible Hulk (2008): 7/10. This movie is so much better than the forgettable Hulk (2003) that it’s not funny. But it suffered from two things: following that earlier film, and being released the same year as Iron Man and The Dark Knight. But it’s still a very good movie. Edward Norton is awesome as Bruce Banner, and Tim Roth is a great villain. Fun movie that should have spawned sequels, but will at least insure that Norton and his Hulk character are a part of the upcoming Avengers movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment