Thursday, January 21, 2010

My Favorite Movies of the Decade, Part 2

Check out Part 1. So here's my top 20 movies of the decade (2000-09). Let the debate begin. Did I miss one of your favorites? Do you think my list sucks? Let's get it started.

20. Transformers (2007)
I remember how blown away I was at the effects in this movie. It was seamless. And I was a huge fan as a kid, so this fulfilled what I needed. Fatal flaw: Some bad acting (Megan Fox) and an only OK storyline.

19. Finding Nemo (2003)
As long as we’re on visually stunning movies, this one was (and still is) visually impressive. The ocean was a perfect fit for Pixar’s skills, and the touching story makes it very re-watchable. Fatal flaw: There’s not glaring holes here, but it does drag a little in the middle.

18. X-Men (2000)
Like Transformers, this was an extraordinary moment for a fanboys like me. Seeing Wolverine and Storm on screen? Awesome. Watching Magneto fight? More awesome. I came out of this one totally stoked. Fatal flaw: I don’t think Brian Singer ever really understood the X-Men. Yes, all of the characters were good, and the casting of Hugh Jackman was brilliant, but his deviation from the X-Men mythology was a little too much.

17. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)
Calling it the least of the LOTR trilogy is not a bad thing. Tremendous movie with fantastic effects and a compelling story. Fatal flaw: The cheese factor of Orlando Bloom. Some of his scenes in this movie are brutal.

16. Juno (2007)
Didn’t catch this one until DVD, but was very pleasantly surprised. Laugh-out loud hilarious, with a good story and great acting throughout. Fatal flaw: Is there a teenager as witty as Juno? I haven’t met one.

15. A Beautiful Mind (2001)
Russell Crowe is a master of character, and he made this film. He showed crazy in a compelling way that made you feel bad for all the main characters (especially his wife). Not sure how true it was to reality, but the story was very compelling.

14. The Bourne Ultimatum (2007)
Awesome action flic. Matt Damon is Jason Bourne, and bringing the series to the US was a great touch. Fatal flaw: Julia Stiles. I like her in other movies, but not great in this one.

13. The Last Samurai (2003)
I think this may get my vote for most underrated movie of the decade. A great epic with tremendous acting and action. If you don’t start getting goose bumps in the final 30 minutes, I question your humanity. And I’m a sucker for a good redemption epic.

12. Star Wards Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005)
This movie gets a bad rap, and I’m not really sure why. It made a ton of money, and was clearly the best of the most recent trilogy. As good as the originals? No, but that’s hardly a knock. The fall of the Jedi is a compelling story, Natalie Portman and Hayden Christensen finally own their characters. And we get to see the genesis of Darth Vader. Fatal flaw: The final fight scene between Obi-wan and Anakin is too reliant on effects. Simpler would have been more compelling.

11. Star Trek (2009)
I can say I was only mildly excited when I heard about this, but it really is what summer movies should be: awesome action, solid story, and acting performances you remember. The casting was beyond terrific in what could have been deemed a impossible task. Can’t wait for the next one.

10. The Dark Knight (2008)
Heath Ledger was amazing in this film, like I’ve written before. All of the other characters were compelling. The action scenes were breathtaking, and the ending was awesome. Fatal flaw: Maggie Gylenhal. Glad they killed her.

9. Iron Man (2008)
Similar to Star Trek, this is what a summer movie should be. Robert Downey Jr. was unbelievably awesome as Tony Stark, and though I was very skeptical about Jeff Bridges as villain Obadiah Stane, he was awesome. And the effects/action sequences were seamless. Fatal flaw: Gwyneth Paltrow.

8. The Incredibles (2004)
My favorite Pixas film, and nearly the best super hero film of all time. The animation was spectacular, the voice acting (especially Jason Lee as Syndrome) was great. It was humorous, touching, and was a tight 1 hour and 55 minutes. Phenomenal film.

7. The Bourne Identity (2002)
One of my all-time favorites. I watched this movie 3-4 times in the theater, and have watched it countless times on DVD. Damon is great, as is Franka Potente. Maybe the most rewatchable movie on this list.

6. Gladiator (2000)
The acting performances in this movie are superb, the drama is compelling, and the action scenes are phenomenal. Maybe it was a little too violent, but otherwise it is a flawless movie.

5. The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (2003)
Picking between these movies is splitting hairs, but I really like what they did with this one. It could have been cheesy throughout, but only the very end probably tipped the cheesy scales a little. Jackson deserves a lifetime achievement award just for these three movies.

4. Finding Neverland (2004)
I absolutely love this movie. Johnny Depp and Kate Winslet are awesome, and Freddie Highmore turns in one of the best child acting performances ever. The story was very engaging, and cinematography was sublime. There are very few dramas I can watch over and over, and this is one.

3. Batman Begins (2005)
Best superhero movie ever. Christian Bale turned in a magnificent performance (before he turned into an insufferable prima dona), and the choice of villain was awesome. Christopher Nolan was the perfect director to re-boot Batman, creating a dark, realistic world that I hope he recreates a couple of more times.

2. Avatar (2009)
Yes, it’s dangerous to put a movie I’ve only seen once this high, and the most recent movie I’ve seen, but I was blown away. The acting was just OK, but this movie is a work of art. Almost every scene could be frozen and framed. The world James Cameron created was one of the most amazing things I’ve ever seen. And the 3-D was enhancing, not distracting. I can’t wait to see it again, and I can’t wait for a sequel.

1. The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
This movie is everything I want a movie to be: tremendous story, great acting, fantastic cinematography, well fitting music, and engaging action. I already sang Peter Jackson’s praises above, but he will always be one of my favorite directors purely for how well these films were made. This movie created a powerful, appealing world that I return to often. I could watch this movie 100 times, and I don’t think I would get sick of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment