Friday, June 18, 2010

The Career of Han Solo

Several of weeks ago I looked back at my favorite all-time movies of Tom Cruise. Today I look at my favorite movies of Harrison Ford.

As a young guy, Harrison Ford was my movie hero. His two most iconic characters, Han Solo and Indiana Jones, were the kind of heroes I acted out being as a kid. And truth be told, they're the kind of heroes I still want to be. They had swagger, they were cool, and they were heroic. He has parlayed those two roles into a 30-year career that has taken him from being a space smuggler to the president of the United States. And I've watched almost all of it.

Now this top ten is not representative of these movies on their own, but more my favorite Harrison Ford performances. So here's the Harrison Ford top ten.
  1. Raider of the Lost Ark (1981)
  2. The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
  3. Star Wars (1977)
  4. Patriot Games (1992)
  5. The Fugitive (1993)
  6. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)
  7. Blade Runner (1982)
  8. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)
  9. Air Force One (1997)
  10. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008)

There really is only one Harrison Ford movie I hate: 'Six Days Seven Nights' (1998), a forgettable action film with Anne Heche when she was still with Ellen. I've at least found something to like in everything else (even 'Mosquito Coast' (1986).

Now why isn't Harrison Ford's career as prolific as Tom Cruise's? A couple of reasons. First, his big break came with 'American Graffiti' in 1973; he was 31. He wasn't an icon until he was 35 with 'Star Wars' and didn't have his own franchise until 1981. Second, he just didn't make as many movies as Cruise.

Still, look at that list. What an awesome career. He's still one of my movie heroes. And since I just turned 34, he shows you can still have quite a career even if you don't get a big break until you're mid-30s.

2 comments:

  1. Surprised that Crystal Skull was on the list. Couldn't stand it. I'd put Clear and Present Danger in that spot instead.

    Fugitive is fantastic.

    I thought he did a good job in Firewall, but the movie could have been better as a whole.

    Witness?

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, Crystal Skull was really about nostalgia and seeing Indy back on screen. I love that character a lot. And I am a fan of Shia L., so it was decent. 'Witness' and 'Clear and Present Danger' could easily be top ten as well in place of Crystal Skull. It was close.

    I actually really liked 'Firewall.' Not a great movie, but decent. It was top 15.

    ReplyDelete