Sunday, August 16, 2009

On DVD: Hancock delivers

Hancock movie review (on DVD)

Score: 7/10

As I've mentioned before, I am a sucker for a good superhero movie. I had wanted to see Hancock in the theater, but never got to it. I rented it from RedBox the other night, and then watched it last night.

I was pleasantly surprised. (A 7 on my scale means I would have been OK with seeing it in the theater and I recommend it.) I was ready to be disappointed, but I wasn't. It was a flawed film, but it had enough good for me to recommend it.

What worked. As usual, I like Will Smith. Even playing an anti-hero like Hancock, his charisma carries the day. Jason Batemen and Charlize Theron were not as good, but both did a good job. The story was tight, though it did deteriorate into major cheese toward the end. The action scenes were above average. There is a lot of great comedy in here too.

What didn't work. Compared to much of the other superhero fare, the special effects were sub-par. And as mentioned early, the story went from highly interesting to a little cheesy, but both of those things are forgivable. My major issue was how crude Smith's character is at the beginning. That diminished my enjoyment of the film.

Who would want to see it. Superhero junkies. Action film fans. As mentioned above, if crude language offends, you would likely pass, and this is not a movie for kids.

Closing credits. As mentioned earlier, I recommend the movie with a few caveats. Wish I had seen it in the theaters.

No comments:

Post a Comment