Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Opening Week

I made the plunge and got MLB Extra Innings on DirectTV, which is awesome! I've been watching a ton of baseball over the past week, including several Red Sox games. Here are some not so random thoughts from week 1:
  • John Lannan was the opening day starter for the Washington Nationals. His career highlights (on the Nationals website) include winning a school record 10 games in his final season at Siena College. Not saying this guy isn't a decent starter and doesn't have potential, but this is a franchise in trouble in the short term.
  • I think the Beckett throwing at Abreu thing got over blown. I have no idea if Beckett was trying to throw at him or not. I think the umpires handled it poorly, and the Angels were in morning and reacted very emotionally (and I don't blame them). Some of the 'outrage' at Beckett's behavior seems a little odd. He didn't even hit Abreu. -- Added after I posted: Beckett was suspended 6 games? For what? Bob Watson of MLB said Beckett's action incited the an 'almost brawl.' Really? Not Abreu pointing at him and shouting? Not an umpire allowing a time out after Beckett has begun his wind up? Totally ridiculous.
  • Announcers annoy me, and many of the local announcers are even as bad as Buck and McCarver. It really makes my appreciate the good ones, which include: Jon Miller and Joe Morgan (ESPN), and I wish they hadn't added Steve Phillips; Don Orsillo and Jerry Remy (Boston); Vin Scully(LA Dodgers); Harry Kalas, rest in peace (Philadelphia). I'm sure there are some others, but these are the ones I like listening to.
  • Speaking of announcers, Rick Sutcliffe is awful. He says ridiculous stuff all the time, and his partners constantly try and correct him. He needs to be retired.
  • I've read way too many articles about 'woe is this team' and 'this team is going to be the surprise' based on 6-7 games. How long before we stop analyzing this way? Who cares if the Red Sox are 2-4? That number doesn't mean anything. They may win 90, they may miss the playoffs. But six games in April aren't any more important than 6 games in July.
  • I stand by my thoughts in my NL preview that the Mets will be awesome if the pitching comes together behind Santana. That Putz/K-Rod bullpen combo is awesome.
  • If there's one pitcher in the major leagues I wouldn't want to face, it's Carlos Marmol. He's freakin' awesome. When Samardzjia comes up, that's an awesome Cubs bullpen.
  • Emilio Bonifacio is off to a torid start for the Marlins, which has made him a popular fantasy pick-up. In 6 minor league seasons, his career line is 285/341/362, but had some decent minor league seasons recently. What am I trying to say? I'm not sold. His projection 'average' (courtesy of Fangraphs) is about a 670 OPS. Not real great for 3B.
  • Why have the Pirates benched Andy LaRoche? The guy has totally stunk in the majors, but that was true before his 14 ABs this season. It's not as if they're legitimate NL contenders. You have a 25-year old 3B who has proven he can hit minor league pitching. Give him a full season and see what you have. And Ramon Vazquez is not a long-term answer to anything by utility infielder.

No comments:

Post a Comment