Saturday, April 25, 2009

On the clock..The NFL Draft

I love the NFL Draft. Note sure why it intrigues me so much – it should be a pretty boring event, with Chris Berman’s voice permeating my house for hours.

But it’s not. There are three sports events I get super excited for: MLB Opening Day, The NFL Draft, and the first day of the MLB playoffs. Yes, the NFL Draft is more exciting to me than the Super Bowl. Call me crazy, but the Super Bowl is often a disappointment. The Draft never disappoints.

So here’s my NFL Draft Diary, a shameless rip-off of Bill Simmons. I will not comment on every pick, only picks that interest me. I am that fickle.

1. Detroit Lions – Matt Stafford, QB, Georgia. Since 2000, here are the QB’s picked in the Top 5.
· Matt Ryan, Falcons (2008)
· JaMarcus Russell, Raiders (2007)
· Vince Young, Titans (2006)
· Alex Smith, 49ers (2005)
· Eli Manning, Chargers (2004)
· Phillip Rivers, Giants (2004)
· Carson Palmer, Bengals (2003)
· David Carr, Texans (2002)
· Joey Harrington, Lions (2002)
· Michael Vick, Falcons (2001)
Of this group (and the jury is still out on Russell), I’d say only 4 (Ryan, Manning, Rivers, Palmer) of the 10 have worked out well, and I don’t think any of them are one of the best 5 QBs in the league. Of course, Vick would have been a winner before the whole dog-fighting thing. Still, if you’re the Lions, you were 0-16, do you pick a QB knowing that for every Aikman and Peyton Manning, there’s two or three Alex Smiths and Joey Harringtons. Just saying, $41 million guaranteed is a lot for a guy who’s probably got less than 50/50 shot of turning out to be a great QB.

2. St. Louis Rams – Jason Smith, OT, Baylor. The ESPN crew preferred Mark Sanchez with this pick. I think they made the right choice. I’m not high on Sanchez (not enough for a No. 2 pick), so go safer and more solid. And plus, as ESPN announcers said, the Rams are looking for mean people. Sanchez seems way too nice.

They just asked Herm Edwards what monumentally bad decision he would make with pick No. 3. I’m pretty sure Scott Pioli doesn’t need Herm’s advice (and I’m pretty sure Chiefs fans are even less interested in his opinion).

3. Kansas City Chiefs – Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU. How dare you Mel Kiper question Scott Pioli. A curse upon your hair gel.

In an online poll of geeks like me who watch the draft and have a laptop open, 59% prefer Sanchez to Stafford. So much for the SEC bias.

4. Seattle Seahawks – Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest. Again, Steve Young is acting as Sanchez’s PR assistant. I’m sensing a recurring theme until the USC QB is taken.

Erin Andrews is wearing way too much make-up. Good golly, she’s going to have to take that off with a chisel.

5. New York Jets (from Browns) – Mark Sanchez, QB, USC. Now maybe my buddy Steve Young will shut up about Sanchez. And Mangini just proved he’s not bitter – he made a deal with the ex. How will this work out for the Jets? As a Pats fan, I’m not particularly excited about another good QB in the AFC East. Of course, Mangini just traded for three of his former players. Browns fans are cringing.

6. Cincinnati Bengals – Andre Smith, T, Alabama. Good news Andre, you’re now rich. Bad news? You’re on the Bengals.

7. Oakland Raiders – Darius Heyward-Bay, WR, Maryland. There is a reason the Raiders stink. You pass on one of the very best college WRs in my lifetime for a speedster? Did they watch any film on these dudes? Nice call guys. What an awful pick. Someone give Al Davis a call and wake him up. The draft started. And Herm Edwards just endorsed the pick. I’m now convinced this is the worst pick ever (or at least the worst pick of this draft).

8. Jacksonville Jaquars – Eugene Monroe, T, Virginia. Good, solid pick. Yes, Crabtree would have been my pick, but they need OL help.

9. Green Bay Packers – B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College. I know the Packers don’t need more WRs and needed help in the defensive interior, but I wouldn’t have been able to pass on Crabtree. So officially I have a mancrush on Crabtree like Steve Young has on Sanchez.

10. San Francisco 49ers -- Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech. Finally. And luckily he has Alex Smith or Shaun Hill throwing to him. Man, I wish the Packers would have taken him.

11. Buffalo Bills – Aaron Maybin, DE, Penn State. Let’s hope the Pats can protect against this guy.

12. Denver Broncos – Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia. This pick became a discussion about trading away Cutler. Regardless, the pick is a very good one.

13. Washington – Brian Orapko, DE, Texas. Awesome pick. I had him as the top DE on my board. OK, I don’t have a board. But he’s freakin’ awesome, and I hope he sacks Eli 57 times in the next three years.

Donald Brown (RB, UConn) is shown by himself on an ugly couch. Poor guy.

14. New Orleans Saints – Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State. Awesome pick for them. Yes, if Moreno was there, he might have made a good compliment to Bush. But none of the other backs are as talented, and boy is their defensive backfield bad.

15. Houston Texas – Brian Cushing, LB, USC. Steve Young stole my thunder, but I think the Texans are going to be 10-6 or 11-5 next year. I like their offense, and I think the defense will be better (especially with this pick).

Erin Andrews just called Roger Goddell ‘the comish.’ He didn’t smile.

16. San Diego Chargers – Larry English, LB, Northern Illinois. Just ask Mr. Merriman if you can borrow some steroids. Seriously, this is a great insurance pick in case Merriman leaves the team in 2010.

19. Philadelphia Eagles – Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri. Don’t like this pick. Maclin’s not really a pro receiver, and there was a lot better talent still on the board.

20. Detroit Lions – Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State. This is how the Eagles should have drafted. He’s an offensive weapon who can make a different in the passing and running game. The two Lions picks make me think they might be 3-13 next year. Big improvement.

21. Cleveland Browns – Alex Mack, C, California. I think the Browns are having a good day. Not sure this would have been my pick, but a solid one. And going from five picks to ten picks is a pretty good deal.

22. Minnesota Vikings – Percy Harvin, WR, Florida. Not a bad pick – they need some more offensive weapons. Of course the big miss was not going out and getting Jay Cutler. Yes, Adrian Peterson is the best RB in football. But look at LDT. You have a very limited window with RBs, and I doubt they’ll be able to make Super Bowls with their currents QBs.

23. Baltimore Ravens – Michael Oher, T, Mississippi. Totally disappointing. I just sit around waiting for the Pats to pick. I guess the Pats weren’t high on Oher (though we could use a young OL).

25. Miami Dolphins – Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois. The AFC East is going to be really competitive again. I think the Dolphins and Jets will be good, and the Bills have potential. And I still think the Pats will win the division with a 13-3 record. Write it down, folks.

I’ve spent close to three hours watching this draft (and keeping an eye on the Red Sox game via MLB.com), and finally the Patriots are picking. Often I have no idea who they are going to pick, but I have almost limitless faith in the team’s ability to make good picks.

26. Green Bay Packers – Clay Matthews, LB, USC. The Packers are trying to start an all-white LB corps. There on their way. And I can’t believe the Pats traded down again. No one could have helped us at this point? My faith is starting to waiver. (Just kidding.)

27. Indianapolis Colts – Donald Brown, RB, UConn. The Pats could have used this guy, but it won’t make a difference for the Colts. They are a team on the decline, with or without a young RB. Tony Dungy left at just the right time.

31. Arizona Cardinals -- Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State. Awesome pick. And if they keep Boldin, they could be a Super Bowl contender again.

34. New England Patriots – Patrick Chung, S, Oregon. Finally, after more than 3 ½ hours, I get to see the Pats pick.

That’s it for me folks (if you’re even still reading). Yes I will continue watching the draft, but no more writing. Until next year folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment