Thursday, March 11, 2010

I will miss Nomar

Nomar Garciaparra is my favorite baseball player of all time.

Here are my favorite players (an incomplete list, to be sure): Nomar, Josh Gibson (I’ve read a lot about him), Kirby Puckett, Will Clark, Roger Clemens (until he went psycho), Barry Bonds, Orel Hershieser, Mo Vaughn, Dwight Evans, and David Ortiz. You could probably add Joe Mauer and Kevin Youkilis to the list.

Nomar stormed onto the scene in 1997 as a ROY, and didn’t slow down for four seasons. In 98, 99 and 2000, he was one of the best offensive players in the game. The argument seems a little silly now, but Nomar was the best AL shortstop at the time. No really. Check this out:

Name OPS+ MVP Finish
1998

Nomar 140 2nd
ARod 136 9th
Jeter 127 3rd
1999
Nomar 153 7th
ARod 134 15th
Jeter 153 6th
2000
Nomar 155 9th
ARod 162 3rd
Jeter 128 10th

I highlighted who I believe was the best shortstop each season, with Nomar winning twice. None of the three were elite defenders, but during the time period Nomar edged ARod, with Jeter being one of the most overrated fielders of my lifetime.

But after the 2000 season, Nomar dropped off dramatically due to injuries. His OPS+ for his next two full seasons (02 and 03): 127, 121. He was still a great SS, and an All-Star both of those seasons. But he was no longer an elite player like her had been for his 3-season peak.

And then came 2004. Dan Shaughnessy shamelessly trashes Nomar in the Boston Globe, remembering Nomar’s divorce from the Sox with great aplomb. Shaughnessy always disliked Nomar, because Nomar didn’t like the press. Luckily Bob Ryan redeems the Globe’s coverage with a much more realistic piece.

Regardless, 2004 tainted Nomar’s legacy in Boston. Was he really hurt? Only he can be sure. Would Boston have won the World Series without trading him? Impossible to know. But as a huge Nomar fan, it was bittersweet to win the title in 2004 without Nomar, who had performed well in three postseasons (98-00).

I don’t believe Nomar will ever sniff the Hall of Fame; his rate numbers are some of the best ever put out there in the modern era by a shortstop, but his counting stats are low. I could make an argument that he still belongs, but I’m too much of a homer for any of you to take me seriously.

Regardless, he will always be one of my favorite players. The way he intensely played the field. The way he swung at bad pitches, and racked out doubles. His timely ability to get a steal when the team needed it.

So in honor of Nomar, I will be wearing my Nomar shirt on Opening Day, proud to have witnessed out of the great runs of any player to put on a Red Sox (or any other) uniform.

No comments:

Post a Comment