Wednesday, March 10, 2010

My Favorite Movies of the 90s, Part 1

This is part 1 of 2 of my favorite movies of the 90s. This is a follow-up to my part 1 and part 2 of my favorite movies of the 2000s. A couple of things to think about before you read this:
  • I graduated from high school in 1994. This means I was an idiot until 1994 (and possible beyond).
  • I was on a Mormon mission from 1995 t0 1997. So I may have missed some good movies.
  • Even if some of these are no longer watchable for me, I kept them in because they made an impact for me at the time.

1990
Home Along - A little dated now, but a classic at the time
Dances with Wolves - Great cinematography and good story
Honorable mentions: The Hunt for Red October, Darkman

1991
Terminator 2: Judgement Day - Awesome action, revolutionary effects
Beauty and the Beast - Awesome film, best of the year (sorry, Silence of the Lambs)
Father of the Bride - Love it, and now that I have two daughters, I think I may relive it
What About Bob? - I can watch this one over and over; supreme comedic performances
Honorable mentions: None

1992
Alladin - My favorite Disney move of all-time, pre-Pixar
A Few Good Men - The ultimate Tom Cruise performance
A League of Their Own - 'There's no crying in baseball!'
Patriot Games - Harrison Ford was the man
The Cutting Edge - I realize I'll catch grief for this one, but I love it. There, I said it
Honorable mentions: Batman Returns, Unforgiven, Sneakers, The Muppet Christmas Carol

1993
Jurassic Park - Revolutionary effects. Dinosaurs. On. Screen. Awesome.
The Fugitive - Did I mention that Harrison Ford is the man?
In the Line of Fire - Best movie of 1993, hands down
Groundhog Day - Greatest comedy of my lifetime
Honorable mentions: The Firm, Tombstone, The Sandlot

1994
Forrest Gump - 'Run, Forrest, run!'
The Lion King - Not the best Disney, but a great film
Clear and Present Danger - Harrison Ford is the man! He could take on Jack Bauer, Chuck Norris, Jason Bourne and your mom, all at the same time!
Stargate - Totally underrated sci-fi film.
Honorable mentions: The Mask, Maverick, Legends of the Fall, The Crow

1995
Toy Story - Revolutionary computer graphics, great voices, great story
Apollo 13 - 'Not on my watch!'
Braveheart - 'But they can't take away our freedom!'
Honorable mentions: Goldeneye, Clueless

1996
Independence Day - Will Smith at his best, blasting aliens
Mission: Impossible - Great popcorn flick
Jerry Macguire - I know, it's really a chick flick, but it's awesome
Happy Gilmore - 'The price is wrong, &%$^!'
Honorable mentions: The Rock, Dragonheart, The Preacher's Wife, One Fine Day

1997
Good Will Hunting - 'How you like them apples!'
Hercules - Totally underrated Disney film
The Fifth Element - Awesome sci-fi movie with Bruce Willis
The Saint - A great spy flick in an era of bad spy flicks
Honorable mentions: Men in Black, Air Force One, As Good as it Gets, Anastasia, The Rainmaker, Amistad

1998
Saving Private Ryan - One of the greatest movie of all time
Mulan - One of my favorite Disney films
Enemy of the State - Will Smith at it again, being chased by the man
The Wedding Singer - The 80s in the 90s
Life is Beautiful - Touching and haunting
Meet Joe Black - I know most people think this movie is boring, but you're wrong
Honorable mentions: The Waterboy, Rush Hour, The Mask of Zorro, Blade

1999
Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace - Better movie than you think. Really.
The Sixth Sense - Best. Ending. Ever.
Toy Story 2 - Just a slightly lesser version of the first one.
The Matrix - I saw this six times in theater. Enough said.
Honorable mentions: The Mummy, Runaway Bride

2 comments: