Saturday, May 15, 2010

The best 'Survivor' ever!

My wife and I began to watch Survivor in 2002 with 'Survivor: Marquesas' (Season 4). This was mainly due to my older brother's enthusiastic endorsement. I watched every season from then until a year ago with 'Survivor: Tocantins' (Season 18). That's a lot of commitment.


But then, like I recently did with American Idol, I parted ways with one of my favorite shows as I was getting bored by the concept, and Tocantins had been a sub-par season for me. So my wife soldiered on, but I backed out.


Then I saw the ads for Season 20: 'Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains.' Some of my favorite players of all-time: Stephanie, Cirie, Tom the fireman, J.T., Courtney. Some of my least favorite, but entertaining, were back: Coach, Randy, Tyson. And of course, my TV man-crush: Boston Rob. As soon as I saw the roster, I knew that I was back on the Survivor train.


The season has not disappointed. There have been so many awesome moments, that it's impossible to count them all, but this season has been memorable and is possibly my favorite season of all time, up there with All-Stars, Pearl Islands, Palau, Cook Islands, and China.


A list of some of the craziest moments of Heroes vs. Villains:
  • This list has to start with utter stupidity of J.T. giving a hidden immunity idol away because he was 'certain' that the uber-villain Russell was in danger due to a powerful women's alliance. Now in all fairness to J.T., Russell had the advantage that HvV started before Russell's season (Samoa) was aired. Based on the fact that both seasons happened in Samoa, Russell may have done these seasons back-to-back.
  • Only slightly farther down on the stupidity scale is Tyson. In the strongest alliance he had the opportunity to get out the dangerous Russell -- but he called an audible going into Tribal Council. So instead of dispatching with Russell, Tyson was voted out. This damaged Boston Rob's alliance, and led to his departure, which changed the entire face of the game. With Russell gone, J.T. doesn't demonstrate his complete idiocy, and I think you see a Heroes alliance dominate to the end.
  • Candice switching over to the Villains after the merge. What a tool. She had to know that move would mark her as someone the remaining Heroes would try and eliminate, and she was at the bottom of the Villains pile. There are times to switch -- that wasn't one of them. She was likely sticking around anyway, since eliminating Amanda, Colby and Rupert would have been priority.
  • The fact that Boston Rob turned into the hero of the Villains. Though he was strategically still brilliant, he lost some of his villain edge and turned into a good guy. Even so, he was still my favorite.
  • Rupert is annoying. Seems like a nice guy, but I think if I was stranded with him for 30 days on a deserted island, I think I would try and vote him off quickly. Or push him of a cliff.
  • The fall of two of my favorite contestants, Tom and Colby. Neither was their usual, physical self for this season, and it was disappointing. Tom was such a monster on Palau. Just doesn't seem like he was really into it.

So who's going to win it on Sunday's big finale? Well, I hope it's Sandra. I like the way she plays, lying in the grass waiting for her turn. And aligning with Boston Rob was smart, even if he didn't even make it to the jury.

Who do I think will win? Parvati. She's played a brilliant game, and I think she's likely to gain more jury votes than just about anyone left. The most interesting match-up would be between her and Sandra, but I don't think Sandra makes it to the final three.

So I'm looking forward to the finale as much as any finale in my history with the show. And they've probably hooked me into the next season, even if there's no Boston Rob.

No comments:

Post a Comment