Monday, May 17, 2010

Dear American Idol (Again)

Dear American Idol,

A few months ago I wrote you a letter saying that we were done. And for most of the season I stayed true to what I told you back then, that I was tired of our relationship and I was walking away.

But you've drawn me back in. Not sure why; the talent you've offered this season is not as good as seasons past. You also offer annoying judges, with only Kara saying coherent things. Yes, Ellen has been better, but this just isn't her gig. And Seacrest is aging faster than the 'Desperate Housewives.'

Why did I come back? As is usually the case with people in denial, I blame my wife. She continued watching, usually when I wasn't home. But sometimes she watched while I was home, and I would keep one eye on the show. Like an accident on a lonely stretch of highway, I slowed down and couldn't look away.

So here I am, locked in as the finale approaches, participating where I said I would not, watching what I once disavowed. But don't think this as a sign of new devotion. I'm likely to ditch you again next season. Of course, I'm also likely to watch quite a bit next year. Because apparently I can't stay away.

Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment